Sunday 9 September 2018

Making Prusa i3 MK3 a bit more stable

A couple of weeks ago I got Prusa i3 MK3 kit as my first 3D printer.

It took me two evenings and a half of Saturday to assemble it. What a nice piece of machinery it is!

I found only a couple of problems with it, first: rubber feet that just wait for any occasion to pop out of the frame when you move the printer.

There are lot of suggestion on Prusa forum how to fix it, using special printed locks, for example, or print completely new feet (what 3D printers are for anyway, if not for replicating and eventually taking over the word).

I've decided to make something myself. And here comes my second problem - last time I used blender3d years ago, so had to spent some time remembering how it works. But after a few trials I eventually got a result with suits me completely. Here it is - a simple shell for Prusa i3 MK3 feet in blender 3d:




and printed samples:

Just put it on a foot attached to the frame, push with a little of force and twist:




Shell is a bit shorter that a foot itself, so tip of rubber is sticking out of making a very good contact with the desk while shell protects printer from excessive wobbling and feet from popping out.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrey, thank you for this design! I didn't find it on Thingiverse, would you consider posting it there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan, I do not have it on Thingeverse, but here is blend http://www.achilikin.com/tmp/prusa-foot-shell.blend and stl file http://www.achilikin.com/tmp/prusa-foot-shell.stl

      Delete